Fingerboard Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fingerboard Spot

The Fingerboarding Place! Thanks for a great run, everybody! See you again soon.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Harvey Glynn

Male
Number of posts : 1460
Location : A secret spy base off the coast of the sahara desert in a volcano under ground.
Humor : haha haha haa haa i am a moderator!
Current Setup : Deck: Yellowood Browny
Wheels: Oak Wheels
Trucks: Ytrucks Silver X1
Tape: Precut FBS
Bushings: Ytrucks
Skill Level : 1734
Registration date : 2009-03-30

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Empty
PostSubject: How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!   How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Writen by todd from nocomply

Yep, figure it's time to give back a bit, as if I don't already, although some people would probably see it otherwise, but anyways.

So, every since I came out with the original Sesh Savers wheels, I had white, black, and colors....I've been dyeing the wheels colors for over a year.

Some people know how I get colors, some people were told and seem to forget that...but, I want to share with people how to get about any color wheel you want, and it works on any white wheel.

It's common knowledge from an old modeler like myself. I've messed with modeling, casting, plastics, etc, for over 15 years.

Paintballers probably know what's up too. :mrgreen:

Anyways...this is what you need...

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! 735a5f93756129be4c5eed6

and one of these....

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Swissdiamondcoveredsauc

a pinch of this...

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Tablesalt

a skoatch of this....

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Waterfaucet

and of course, one of these...

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Stovet

Directions...

Take ANY brand white wheel, and pop the bearings out....duals, singles....

Get them ready in a cup.

Pre-heat about 1/2 cup of tap water in an old pan. Set it on about med to med high heat. Anything higher will start shooting bubbles of dye everywhere.... Surprised

Take your salt shaker, and sprinkle it 2 or 3 quick times in the water.

Once you get a rolling boil, slowly add about 1 Tablespoon of your chosen Rit Dye color...

mix it with a spoon as you put it in....to keep it evenly mixed and off the bottom.

Next, add your wheels. Keep stirring....did I say keep stirring?

You will need to stir about say 5 minutes or so....

You can pull one out and check it....it will end up a shade or so lighter than what you see, so take that into consideration.

You also need to have a strainer ready in the sink.

Once you achieve the color you want, take the pan off the heat, turn on the cold water, and slowly dump the liquid with your wheels into the strainer which is positioned under the water faucet running. Slowly agitate the wheels around to rinse them.

Rinse them in cold for about 30 seconds or so.

Have a paper towel stack or old towel ready to dump the wheels on and pat dry the wheels gently.

Put them aside for a few hours to let all the water evaporate.

Replace bearings, and ride your new bright colored wheels...!!!

-------------

Now, a few tricks or hints....the longer you leave the wheels on the stove in the solution, the darker and deeper penetrated they will get.

On the contrary, too much dye, and too much time, gives you SUPER dark wheels.

Not enough time with the right amount of dye, gives you lighter wheels that the color didn't penetrate as far in...that in which over time, you may start to see the color wear out or off.

I suggest, the method above. You can make a half light solution though, and leave the wheels in for 20 minutes....this in theory should give you a nice color, that penetrated a good amount into the wheel.

I have not tried any clear wheels, but any plastic that can take up to 300 degrees heat(which is pretty much most of them) can be dyed.

So in theory, a clear wheel, would net you a transparent color you chose.

Also, purple will not give a good purple....you have to use Cobalt Blue color, to get purple.

This is why I have struggled with blue, nothing I have tried has given me the blue I want.

Same with green.

Rits website does have a color chart and info to mix dyes to make custom colors...

The palette is all yours.

I also suggest getting a parent or guardian involved before messing with the dye. I do have stained vents on my range hood from over a years worth of dyeing the wheels many of you still use today.

And the pan you use, will be no good after using it, so get an old one that moms or pops don't mind you using.

I plan to make a video in the next few weeks that I will post on the No Comply site as a tutorial....

So, you can skip the hassle and buy any pre-dyed wheel or, have a bit of fun and try yourself. It's all about fun and sharing to me...

No Comply Friendly Disclaimer*

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHEELS LOST DOWN YOUR SINK DRAIN, OR THE HEADACHES YOUR DAD WILL INCUR, FROM TAKING APART THE ENTIRE DRAIN ASSEMBLY UNDER THE SINK, TO RETRIEVE YOUR BELOVED WHEEL AND OR WHEELS.....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/harveyglynn
John K.
John K.

Number of posts : 1222
Current Setup : Naipe.
Skill Level : 1326
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!   How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 am

Yeah i do it with my scooter wheels.
Back to top Go down
luajh
Master Fingerboarder
luajh

Male
Number of posts : 1400
Humor : naughty naughty
Current Setup : Defstone NM Wide Blank
SPRiNGFiELD Tape
SPRiNGFiELD Bushings
Spinal Wides
NC Pivot Cups
Nocomply V3 Buttas
Wheel washers

Skill Level : 1572
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!   How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 3:38 pm

exact same way i use to dye bushings. i add abit more salt than him though. works very well if you know the exact portions and if you do it properly.

heres my result :

works with most plastics idk if it does on techdeck wheel material

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! 2e0v4gm
Back to top Go down
http://www.springfieldtuning.vze.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!   How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to dye white or clear fingerboard wheels any color you want!
Page 1 of 1